Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, Dec 02

Time now it about 10pm, and I am here typing with my injured wrist. Today, I went to doctor's examination for my right wrist. My right wrist has been bothering and hurting me for couple months, and It's funny as I do not know what caused that pain. I just do not get it as I did not fall down or did anything that twist my wrist. I might get hurt sometimes during the basketball game, but nothing major that twist my wrist...

My right wrist has been bothering me for couple months. My first thought was maybe just muscle tension, and I did not really care and think that it will get better later on. I was wrong and my right wrist getting worse and more pains are coming lately. I could not even fall sleep as it woke me up last night. I decided to go for doctor's examination today to get it fix.

After examination, doctor diagnosed my illness as Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. It's a medical term. When I first heard that, my thought was "What the hell is that??" After doctor's explanation and my online research, finally know what is that about. It also know as repetitive stress injury. I need to go for couple weeks physical therapy treatment.

Here are some info for Carpal Tunnel Syndrome:
Carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS), or median neuropathy at the wrist, is a medical condition in which the median nerve is compressed at the wrist, leading to paresthesias, numbness and muscle weakness in the hand. Carpal tunnel syndrome is provoked by repetitive grasping and manipulating activities, and that the exposure can be cumulative. It has also been stated that symptoms are commonly exacerbated by forceful and repetitive use of the hand and wrists in industrial occupations, but it is unclear if this refers to pain (which may not be due to carpal tunnel syndrome) or the more typical numbness symptoms.

I've been spending too much time with the computer. I would say more than 12 hours a day. That's too much!! Now, I know what is the real cause that hurt my right wrist so bad. It's the MOUSE!! The repetitive movement such computer devices usage and I did not take enough breaks and stretch my wrist. Time after time, it leads to Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. It's work-related injury, so it covered by the company's worker compensation insurance policy. All the medical expenses are covered by the Insurance company. I did not spend even a penny!!

Doctor and Physical Therapeutic have me put on the wrist splint. It helps limit numbness by limiting wrist flexion. I feel much much better now. I have to put my splint on during my working hour to remind me the limitation of wrist usage.
Check this out!! Hi-Tech medication with the battery on it -InotoPatch. Fill the medication and saline through electrode ports. It lasts for 14 hours long. Amazing! Still, I have to go for physical therapy. Ice application makes me feel much better.

I hope it will get better soon. I hate to put splint or brace on. It looks ugly and inconvenience. I cannot go for basketball and work out at Gym for couple weeks, which is I hate the most. Recently, I just found that I am allergic to some medications, such as Ibuprofen. This is my first time ever hurt my wrist and It's because of a tiny PC MOUSE, which sounds funnY!!

No comments:

Post a Comment